Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite ingredients. They are versatile, easy to cook and inexpensive, making them a great option for any meal. This particular meal is great because you can eat it any time of day depending on what ingredients you use. I used this recipe for lunch for the last couple of days and it is so filling and delicious! The other great part is that this recipe does not use any oil making it an especially healthy plant-based dish.
Like I said before, this recipe is incredibly versatile. You can sub out whatever ingredients and spices you like and use them to stuff your sweet potato. These particular ingredients were what I had on hand which made it super easy to make for a somewhat quick and healthy lunch. I’ve seen breakfast variations as well that include almond butter and bananas and maple syrup and definitely think I will have to try that next.
Vegan Oil-Free Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
2 medium to large sweet potatoes, washed
1/2 red onion, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1 cup quinoa, cooked
1 large tomato, diced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Juice of 1 lime
Salt & pepper
Toppings: guacamole, Fritos, cilantro, vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Poke sweet potatoes all over with a fork and roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until soft when stabbed with a fork.
- Meanwhile, cook onion in a pan over medium-high heat until soft.
- Once cooked add beans, corn, spices, lime juice and quinoa and mix until well combined.
- Cook ingredients until warmed through.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and once cool enough, cut them in half.
- Place one half in a bowl and top with quinoa mixture.
- I topped mine with homemade guac, some fritos and some vegan cheddar cheese. Top with whatever you like or have available! Enjoy!