Sunday is meal prep day! And today I made delicious protein and fiber-packed bowls that I can’t wait to eat throughout the week. This recipe is also super simple to make, inexpensive, and extra filling. The ingredients are also available pretty much year round making this the perfect meal prep for any season.
Black beans and rice are a protein-packed combination. Add the broccoli, zucchini and mushrooms to that and you’re adding even more fiber as well as a calcium boost. I love heating this dish in the winter time or eating it cold in the summer months – both ways are delicious! My favorite part is definitely the dollop of hummus added at the end. Simply mix the entire bowl together to create a delicious comfort food feeling meal. Let’s show you how to make it.
Vegan Black Beans and Greens Meal Prep
2 zucchinis, sliced
3 small crowns of broccoli, chopped
1 box of baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup of brown rice (cook to package directions)
Garlic powder (if desired)
8 Tbsp Hummus
Salt and pepper
- Cook 1 cup of brown rice according to package directions. My bag says that 1 cup of dry rice makes 5 3/4 cup servings. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- While rice is cooking, prepare a baking sheet (I like to use foil for easy clean up), place all vegetables and beans on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic powder and salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through.
- Once everything is cooked, place even portions into 4 food containers (or more if you want smaller portions).
- Top each filled container with 2 Tbsp of hummus.
- Place lid on container for eating throughout the current week. Enjoy!